Office of the Registrar

Slideshow Front

TC & TK at Commencement Ceremony
Doctorate candidate receiving a degree
Students walking on a commencement Ceremony
President with TK & TC at Commencement
TK signing the Pennants


What tips can you provide me in order to successfully complete the Application for Resident Classification?

Individuals interested in establishing themselves as Residents for tuition and fee purposes are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans with staff in the Office of the Registrar.  You should review the process, fully understand the requirements and have your questions answered. 

If I enroll part-time or less, as is required to establish Residency, what - in addition to Financial Aid - will be affected?

By adjusting your enrollment, your eligibility for the various financial aid programs could change.  Prior to reducing your enrollment, you should discuss your plans with a counselor in the Office of Student Financial Aid so that you fully understand the financial implications.  You should also investigate the potential impact on any scholarships you are receiving.  The Office of Financial Aid can be contacted by calling 319-273-2700 or email

What do I need to do in order to establish myself as an Iowa Resident for tuition and fee purposes?

If you want to establish residency for tuition and fee purposes, you would have to live in Iowa for 12 consecutive months.  During those 12 months, you could be registered no more than half-time at any institution in the state.  For an undergraduate student, this would be no more than six semester hours during the Fall semester, six semester hours during the Spring semester, and no more than four semester hours total during the Summer sessions.  For a graduate student, this means enrollment not exceeding 5-5-4 semester hours.  This enrollment maximum is cumulative enroll

I am a current UNI student who was born/raised in Iowa. My parents are moving out-of-state, do I now pay Non-resident tuition?

No, but here is what you need to know.  A financially-dependent student whose parents move out of Iowa after the student begins attending UNI classes remains a Resident provided the student maintains continuous Fall/Spring enrollment.  If your enrollment develops a gap, your resident classification will necessarily be re-evaluated as you prepare to re-enroll through the Office of the Registrar. 

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 

My parents graduated from UNI, but I grew up and will graduate from an Illinois high school. Do I qualify for Resident tuition?

No.  There is not a provision making residents of other states residents for tuition purposes at Iowa based on the student being a "legacy," a descendant or relative of a previous UNI graduate.

I was determined to be a Non-resident. How can I appeal?

A Non-resident decision made by staff in the Office of the Registrar after review of your signed application for Resident Classification for Tuition and Fee Purposes may be appealed to the Non-resident Review Committee.

You must write a letter stating that you are appealing the Non-resident decision, explaining your situation and providing any additional information you feel may help the Committee when it reviews your case.  this letter must be submitted to the:

Office of the Registrar

115 Gilchrist Hall

How long does it take to hear the result of my Application for Resident Classification?

Consideration of applications can take around a month, sometimes less.  During our busiest time (Summer), applications may take a bit longer.  You may hear from us via phone, mail or email sooner.  We may ask you for further information or copies of relevant documents.  Whatever the outcome, a decision letter will be sent to your residing address. 

Can I submit an application for last semester?

No, applications cannot be submitted for previous semesters.  The guidelines specifically state that change of classification from Non-resident to Resident will not be made retroactively beyond the term in which application for resident classification is made.  Remember, applications are due no later than the 15th class day of a semester or session.

When is the Application for Resident Classification due?

The deadline for applications is the 15th class day of the semester or session for which you are applying. However, at that point, you will have been responsible for payment of your full University bill.  Applications received later will be considered for the next semester or session.

If you apply after your initial University bill has been issued and you are later determined to be a Resident for tuition and fee purposes for that semester, your University bill would be adjusted. 


Subscribe to Parents
Connect With Us

Office Location/Hours

115 Gilchrist Hall

(M-F) 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.


(319) 273-2241


(319) 273-6792


link to Facebook


link to Twitter