down arrowMenu

Office of the Registrar

Slideshow Front

Football Game
Passing Time
Lightning at the Campanile


How long does it take to hear the result of my Application for Resident Classification?

Consideration of applications can take around a month, sometimes less.  During our busiest time (Summer), applications may take a bit longer.  You may hear from us via phone, mail or email sooner.  We may ask you for further information or copies of relevant documents.  Whatever the outcome, a decision letter will be sent to your residing address. 

Can I submit an application for last semester?

No, applications cannot be submitted for previous semesters.  The guidelines specifically state that change of classification from Non-resident to Resident will not be made retroactively beyond the term in which application for resident classification is made.  Remember, applications are due no later than the 15th class day of a semester or session.

When is the Application for Resident Classification due?

The deadline for applications is the 15th class day of the semester or session for which you are applying. However, at that point, you will have been responsible for payment of your full University bill.  Applications received later will be considered for the next semester or session.

If you apply after your initial University bill has been issued and you are later determined to be a Resident for tuition and fee purposes for that semester, your University bill would be adjusted. 

My parents and I moved away from Iowa during my senior year in high school. Can I be considered a Resident?

Yes, but here is what you need to know.  A financially dependent student whose parents move out of Iowa during the student's senior year of high school will be considered a Resident provided the student has not established domicile in another state and enrolls in the Fall semester immediately following his or her May/June Iowa high school graduation.  Since the Office of Admissions will probably initially classify you as a Non-resident, you should be prepared to submit your own Application for Resident Classification.  It is impor

Do I need a ticket to attend UNI's commencement ceremony?

No, you do not need a ticket to attend UNI's commencement ceremony. Seating is general admission, and free and open to the public. If you, or someone you know, is in need of special accommodations, please contact Irene Elbert, Office Coordinator, in the Office of the Registrar for more information. Irene can be contacted at or at (319) 273-2216.
For more information related to Commencement, please click here.

How do I verify if a student has graduated from UNI?

Our office is under contract with the National Student Clearinghouse.  You can call 703-742-4200 to verify or visit the National Student Clearinghouse website.

If you are a local company you can contact Irene Elbert and she will send you an enrollment verification for the student.  Irene can be contacted at or call 319-273-2216.

Taxonomy upgrade extras: 


Subscribe to Visitors
Connect With Us

Office Location/Hours

115 Gilchrist Hall

Fall/Spring: (M-F) 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


(319) 273-2241


(319) 273-6792


link to Facebook


link to Twitter