Graduation vs. Commencement
Refers to completing all of your degree requirements. For Graduation information, click here.
Is the recognition event at the conclusion of your academic career. A listing of ceremony dates and times can be found online here.
If you plan to attend Commencement, a submitted RSVP is required. An RSVP must be submitted by the deadline to be included in the Commencement program:
- Spring Commencement: April 1st
- Summer Commencement: July 1st
- Fall Commencement: November 10th
RSVP's submitted after the deadline will not be included in the Commencement Program but are still eligible to walk in the ceremony.
Participating Outside of Your Graduation Term: If you are a degree candidate completing your degree requirements in another semester, but would like to participate in a ceremony the term before or after your graduation, you may attend the ceremony if you fill out the Commencement RSVP. Doing so will allow your name to be printed in the program and included in the ceremony. You must still complete an Application for Graduation for the semester you will complete degree requirements. Academic honors earned will be recognized in the semester you complete your degree requirements.
Graduate candidates should participate in the term you will complete your degree requirements.
Doctoral candidates will have a required rehearsal one hour prior to the ceremony start time. This is the only commencement rehearsal that will occur.
Summer - Master's and Specialist Degree Candidates who will complete their degree requirements in Summer, and who apply by April 1 for Summer graduation (degree conferral), are eligible to participate in the Spring Commencement Ceremony. Students who will complete their degree requirements in Summer, and who apply after April 1 for Summer graduation (degree conferral), are only eligible to participate in Fall Commencement Ceremony.
Summer - Doctoral Degree Candidates who complete their degree requirements in summer may apply for Summer or Fall graduation (degree conferral), but they will only be eligible to participate in Fall Commencement Ceremony.
Commencement Program Information
Students must have a Commencement RSVP submitted by the deadline to be included in the program.
Summer Graduates: The names and academic honors of those students who graduated at the end of the Summer term are automatically included in the Fall Commencement Program since no Summer Commencement Ceremony is held.
In an effort to be more sustainable, programs will be placed on student seats. The program is available for download prior to or following the ceremony on our website. Each student can receive up to 2 additional copies of the program by contacting our office.
Commencement ceremonies are livestreamed here with Closed Captioning available.
Student Arrival and Seating
- Graduates do not need tickets.
- The only rehearsal for Commencement is for Doctoral Candidates.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at its start time. Check in opens 2 hours prior and closes 30 minutes prior to the ceremony start time.
- YOU MUST BE PRESENT AT LEAST 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE CEREMONY START TIME.
- Graduates should enter at the west door of the Plaza with the granite panther statue between McLeod and the UNI-Dome (west side) where you will check in and be directed to your assigned seat in the UNI-Dome prior to the ceremony in the McLeod Center.
- Your family and friends should follow the instructions below for guest arrival and seating, and they should not enter at the graduate entrance.
- If you need any accommodations, please indicate as such in the Commencement RSVP or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Spring 2022, masks are encouraged, but not required.
Guest Information - Arrival and Seating
Accommodated seating is available. Your graduate must request a ticket for the accessible seating area when they respond the Commencement RSVP. The Office of the Registrar will reach out to graduates who indicate accommodations are needed to provide further information.
McLeod Center doors will open for guest entry two (2) hours prior to the start of the ceremony.
For Spring 2022, masks are encouraged, but not required.
Parking and Entrances
Parking is available in the parking lots around the UNI-Dome, McLeod Center, Wellness-Recreation Center (WRC), Latham Field, Hagemann Hall, Campbell Hall, and other parking lots on the East side of Hudson Road.
Graduate and Guest Exiting
Graduates will return to their seat after crossing the stage and will be dismissed to the concourse at the conclusion of the ceremony. Graduates are strongly encouraged to make a plan to meet up with their guests in the parking lot or elsewhere following the ceremony.
Guests will be dismissed at the conclusion of the ceremony. No guests will be allowed on the McLeod Center floor.
The McLeod Center must be clear 30 minutes after the ceremony ends to allow for cleaning.
Caps and Gowns
Students can purchase commencement apparel during the Grad Fair. After the Grad Fair, apparel may be purchased in person at the UNI Bookstore or online though our vendor, Herff Jones. A listing of tassel and hood colors is online here.
- Cap, Gown and Tassel: $43.74
- Tassel Only: $9.99
- Cap, Gown, Hood and Tassel: $90.49
- Hood Only: $41.24
- Tassel Only: $9.99
- Keeper Tam (Hat), Gown, Hood and Tassel: $139.99
- Hood: $49.24
- Tassel Only: $9.99
The UNI Bookstore, as well as our vendor, Herff Jones, will be providing special pricing on apparel packages during Grad Fair. These offers are only available on Wednesday, March 31st, 2021.
- Bachelors Package + Commemorative Tassel: $43.73 (regularly $53.73)
- Masters Package + Commemorative Tassel: $90.48 (regularly $100.48)
- Doctoral Package + Commemorative Tassel: $139.98 (regularly $149.98)
- Bachelors Package + Commemorative Tassel + Classic Diploma Frame: $203.75 (regularly $213.75)
- Masters Package + Commemorative Tassel + Classic Diploma Frame: $255.48 (regularly $265.48)
Individual commencement photos will be taken by Flash Photography. Every student will be photographed twice at the Commencement Ceremony. Free proofs will be mailed and emailed within a week of the ceremony. If you have questions, please contact Flash Photography at FLASHphotography.com.