down arrowMenu

Office of the Registrar

Slideshow Front

Football Game
Passing Time
Lightning at the Campanile

Residency Determination

Upon admission to the University of Northern Iowa, a student is classified as either a resident or nonresident of the State of Iowa for tuition purposes. A student's classification is based upon the information that they provided on that Application for Admission and other credentials.

To request a change in your residency classification, you will need to complete the Residency Classification Application provided below. It is strongly recommended that you read the General Information Regarding Residency and Guidelines for Determining Residency prior to filling out and submitting your application for consideration.

Students wishing to discuss their residency classification at UNI, or seeking information regarding how to change their residency, may make an appointment with Mary Baumann, Associate Registrar, Office of the Registrar, (319-273-2112 or


Connect With Us

Office Location/Hours

115 Gilchrist Hall

Fall/Spring: (M-F) 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


(319) 273-2241


(319) 273-6792


link to Facebook


link to Twitter