Position Title: Graduate Assistant for Commencement & Communications (Filled for 2021-22)
University of Northern Iowa
115 Gilchrist Hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0006
Phone: (319) 273-2241
Terms of Employment:
For the fall semester: 20 hours per week, beginning August 23, 2021 and ending December 15, 2021. Does not include the week of Thanksgiving Break.
For the spring semester: 20 hours per week, beginning January 20, 2022 and ending May 13, 2022. Does not include the week of Spring Break.
Full assistantship salary for 2020-2021 is $5,395 per semester. 2021-22 salary information should be available by February 1, 2021.
Salary is prorated on a weekly basis for late start.
Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semesters.
For more information on the Graduate Assistantship System and procedures: http://www.grad.uni.edu/assistantships/
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for working with academic departments and faculty to schedule courses; assigning classroom facilities; publication of the university catalog and schedule of classes; oversight of student registration; facilitating student enrollment and academic progress; transferring records to other institutions; maintenance of student information and records; fulfilling reporting requests; monitoring residency determinations; monitoring athletic eligibility; overseeing requests for readmission after suspension; preparing transcripts, diplomas and other institutional documents; clearing students for graduation; organizing graduation ceremonies; and assuring that the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requirements are followed throughout the institution.
- Coordinate the Graduation Fair held each semester for graduating students including, but not limited to: coordinating catering, collaborating with university staff, engaging with vendors, and managing publicity;
- Serve on the University Commencement Committee;
- Assist in the planning, coordination, and implementation of commencement ceremonies;
- Assist with the creation, coordination, and dissemination of office outreach and communication efforts;
- Attending student organization meetings, visit days, and other events to educate students about services;
- Compose and disseminate graduation and commencement communications;
- Develop and share registrar-related publicity; and
- Assist with other duties as assigned.
- Graduate Assistant is required to work Commencement on Saturday, December 18, Friday, May 13, and Saturday, May 14. Student will be compensated accordingly for these additional hours.
Candidate must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship, and must be a degree-seeking student in a graduate program (e.g., Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs; Counseling; or other related field preferred). Additionally, candidate must maintain a UNI cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.00. A newly admitted graduate student must have at least a 3.0 GPA for undergraduate or previous graduate work of at least 8 graded credit hours. The qualified candidate will demonstrate evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and to conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner; and will have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Professional.