Office of the Registrar
Mary Baumann, Associate Registrar
University of Northern Iowa
115 Gilchrist hall
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0006
Phone: (319) 273-2112
Terms of Employment:
The position is for 20 hours per week for both the Fall and Spring terms.
- Fall Term: Monday, August 21, 2017 through Friday, December 15, 2017
- Spring Term: Monday, January 8, 2018 through Friday, May 4, 2018
- Graduate Salary: $10,240 per year / $5,120 per term.
- Salary will be pro-rated weekly for late start.
- Graduate Assistants may qualify for in-state tuition and fees.
- Professional development opportunities are supported, but the degree of support is determined by availability of funds
- Graduate Assistants receive University holidays and do not work during Thanksgiving Break, Spring Break, or the interims between semester.
- For more information on the Graduate Assistantship system and procedures, please navigate to the Graduate College homepage: https://www.grad.uni.edu
The Office of the Registrar is responsible for working with academic departments and faculty to schedule courses; assigning classroom facilities; publication of the university catalog and schedule of classes; oversight of student registration; facilitating student enrollment and academic progress; transferring records to other institutions; maintenance of student information and records; fulfilling reporting requests; monitoring residency determinations; monitoring athletic eligibility; overseeing requests for readmission after suspension; preparing transcripts, diplomas and other institutional documents; clearing students for graduation; organizing graduation ceremonies; and assuring that the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requirements are followed throughout the institution.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Graduate Assistant will assist in the development, administration, and oversight of many of the aforementioned programs and services. Additionally, the Graduate Assistant will:
- Assist with the supervision of student employees; administer regular performance evaluations and provide feedback to help students progress toward achieving their student-learning and development outcomes; and
- Help oversee the reception area; educate student employees regarding customer service skills; make suggestions for, and deliver, training opportunities; and
- Assist with the creation, coordination, and dissemination of office outreach and communication efforts including, but not limited to: Attending student organization meetings to educate students about services, compose and disseminate PAWSitive Impact, plan and provide FERPA training seminars, manage the Facebook group, respond to emails received in the Registrar@uni.edu account, create and post instructional/informational videos, manage and update the website, and attend New- and Transfer-Student Orientation; and
- Serve on the University Commencement Committee; assist in the planning, coordination, and implementation of commencement ceremonies; and
- Research and report on registrar-related issues such as student development, retention, FERPA, policy development, academic warning, probation, and suspension, retention of records, residency, athletic-eligibility, and commencement ceremonies; create and distribute ad hoc and standardized reports as requested; and assist with assessment efforts pertaining to key performance indicators and customer satisfaction.
- Assist the management team with other duties as assigned.
Candidate must be enrolled in 9 graduate credits each semester of assistantship, and must be a degree-seeking student in a graduate program (e.g., Postsecondary Education: Student Affairs; Counseling; or other related field preferred). Additionally, candidate must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.00. The qualified candidate will demonstrate evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills; demonstrated ability to be self-motivated and to conduct oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner; and will have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat Professional.