Office of the Registrar

Military and Veterans Education Benefits

Welcome to the University of Northern Iowa. We are proud to have you at the University of Northern Iowa and greatly appreciate your time given in service to our nation. Balancing college life with your military, career, family and many personal responsibilities can be challenging. To get the most out of your college education, UNI’s VA School Certifying Officials are here to assist you in obtaining the benefits you need to achieve your academic, personal, and professional goals. 

VA School Certifying Officials (SCO)

Primary contact for student last names beginning A - L

Carol Squires

115 Gilchrist Hall

(319) 273-2242


Primary contact for student last names beginning M - Z

April Schmiesing

115 Gilchrist Hall

(319) 273-6801

COVID-19 A note from the Veterans Administration

My school changed all classes to online. Will I still qualify for my GI Bill benefits?

Yes, if you're currently receiving GI Bill benefits, payments will continue automatically. You don't have to do anything. We know that many schools have changed to online classes in response to COVID-19. You'll continue to receive the same monthly housing allowance payments you received for resident training until December 21, 2020, or until your school resumes normal operations.

We're working closely with schools to ensure enrollments are accurately certified and processed.

If you have specific questions, you can contact the Education Call Center toll-free at (888) 442-4551, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., ET.






Steps for obtaining VA Education Benefits

1. Apply to the University of Northern Iowa

2. Military education and training

  • Military Joint Services Transcripts (JST) are official transcripts for eligible service members combining military education and job experience with descriptions and college credit recommendations. 
  • A JST is necessary for evaluation of credit.
  • To order your JST, go to
  • Current and former members of the Air Force can request transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Air Force personnel can obtain their transcript even if they have not attended classes at the CCAF.​

3. Submit an application for VA Education Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will determine your eligibility

4. Submit the Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

It takes 6-10 weeks for the VA to determine your eligibility. If eligible for benefits, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Provide a copy to the School Certifying Officials (see above).

5. Register for Classes at the University of Northern Iowa

You can register for classes before submitting the Certificate of Eligibility.

6. Enrollment Certification

The school certifying official will complete and send the enrollment certification to the VA (form 22-1999) each semester the student is enrolled at UNI (unless the student notifies the certifying officials differently). You will receive an email from the VA confirming the enrollment has been submitted. 

  • You will be certified only for courses that apply toward your minimum degree requirements.
  • Repeated courses previously failed will be certified for benefits.
  • Repeated courses with passing grades may be repeated and certified for benefits if the academic program requires a higher grade than previously earned.

7. Monthly Enrollment Verifications 

Required for Chapters 30 and 1606 
Verify your enrollment on the last day of the month or after by calling 1-800-823-2378 or go online to  Payments will be deposited or sent only if the student verifies their enrollment monthly.
If you have direct deposit set up, your payment is generally in your account within 3-5 business days. If receiving your payment by mail, it will take approximately 5-7 business days. 

8. Priority Registration

UNI grants military and veteran students priority registration within their classification (i.e. freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate).

9. National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP - State Tuition Assistance)

10. Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA – GoArmyEd)

University Resources

Office of Admissions

Office of Financial Aid

Military and Veteran Student Services

Other Resources

U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs
St. Louis VA: (888) 442-4551 (for questions regarding education benefits)

Iowa Department of Veteran Affairs
(515) 252-4698 or (800) 838-4692

Des Moines Regional Veteran Affairs
(800) 827-1000 (for Vocational Rehabilitation and general VA questions)

Blackhawk County Veteran Affairs
(319) 291-2512