Welcome to the University of Northern Iowa. We are proud to have you at the University of Northern Iowa and greatly appreciate your time given in service to our nation. Balancing college life with your military, career, family and many personal responsibilities can be challenging. To get the most out of your college education, UNI’s VA School Certifying Officials are here to assist you in obtaining the benefits you need to achieve your academic, personal, and professional goals.
VA School Certifying Officials (SCO)
Steps for obtaining VA Education Benefits
1. Apply to the University of Northern Iowa
2. Military education and training
- Military Joint Services Transcripts (JST) are official transcripts for eligible service members combining military education and job experience with descriptions and college credit recommendations.
- A JST is necessary for evaluation of credit.
- To order your JST, go to https://www.military.com/education/timesaving-programs/the-joint-service...
- Current and former members of the Air Force can request transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Air Force personnel can obtain their transcript even if they have not attended classes at the CCAF.
3. Submit an application for VA Education Benefits
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will determine your eligibility
4. Submit the Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
It takes 6-10 weeks for the VA to determine your eligibility. If eligible for benefits, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Provide a copy to the School Certifying Officials (see above).
5. Register for Classes at the University of Northern Iowa
You can register for classes before submitting the Certificate of Eligibility.
6. Enrollment Certification
The school certifying official will complete and send the enrollment certification to the VA (form 22-1999) each semester the student is enrolled at UNI (unless the student notifies the certifying officials differently). You will receive an email from the VA confirming the enrollment has been submitted.
- You will be certified only for courses that apply toward your minimum degree requirements.
- Repeated courses previously failed will be certified for benefits.
- Repeated courses with passing grades may be repeated and certified for benefits if the academic program requires a higher grade than previously earned.
7. Monthly Enrollment Verifications
Required for Chapters 30 and 1606
Verify your enrollment on the last day of the month or after by calling 1-800-823-2378 or go online to https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do. Payments will be deposited or sent only if the student verifies their enrollment monthly.
If you have direct deposit set up, your payment is generally in your account within 3-5 business days. If receiving your payment by mail, it will take approximately 5-7 business days.
8. Priority Registration
UNI grants military and veteran students priority registration within their classification (i.e. freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate).
9. National Guard Education Assistance Program (NGEAP - State Tuition Assistance)
- Apply at: https://www.iowacollegeaid.gov/ (lower right hand corner: Iowa Financial Aid Application).
10. Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA – GoArmyEd)
- Apply at: https://www.iowanationalguard.com/Family%20and%20Services/Education/Pages/GoArmyEdu.aspx.
- Cannot use Chapter 1606 with FTA for the SAME credit hours.
- Maximum of 16 credit hours per academic year.
- May be used with NGEAP.
Office of Admissions
Office of Financial Aid
Military and Veteran Student Services