Printable Versions of the Academic Calendar
Academic Calendar Guidelines
- Maintain 15 weeks of instruction during each semester, with no fewer than 74 days, plus one week of final exams for fall and spring semesters.
- Schedule holidays in accordance with the university's holiday policy and Iowa Code Section.
- Start fall semester on the latest day possible with the following constraints observed:
- Have a full week break for fall break.
- Hold the last day of final exams no later than December 20.
- Schedule a 4-week winter session.
- Begin winter session following the end of fall semester (i.e. after final exams conclude).
- Begin classes on the fifth week after the end of fall semester (i.e. after finals conclude).
- Note: Generally, classes for spring semester would begin on the third Tuesday of the calendar year (i.e. the day after Martin Luther King Jr. Day); however, in years when winter session ends two weeks prior to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, spring semester classes will have to begin on the second Monday of the calendar year.
- Schedule spring break the week of the eleventh Monday of the calendar year.
- Hold last day of final exams no later than May 17.
- Schedule a 12-week summer semester.
- Begin summer semester following the end of spring semester (i.e. after final exams conclude).
Calendar Principles Approval Review Cycle
- Principles shall be reviewed by the Registrars of the three universities every five years..
Reviewed and approved by Senate Leadership Council on Monday, October 4, 2021.