Printable Versions of the Academic Calendar
Academic Calendar (2022-2027) * Approved November 2021.
Academic Calendar (2018-2025) Note: This is an old version is as of June 2021; please refer to updated calendar link approved November 2021.
Academic Calendar Guidelines
- Maintain 15 weeks of instruction during each semester, with no fewer than 74 days, plus one week of final exams for Fall and Spring semesters.
- Schedule holidays in accordance with the university's holiday policy and Iowa Code Section.
- Start Fall semester on the latest day possible with the following constraints observed:
- Have a full week break for Fall Break.
- Hold the last day of final exams no later than December 20.
- Schedule a 4-week Winter session.
- Begin Winter session following the end of Fall semester (i.e. after final exams conclude).
- Begin classes on the fifth week after the end of Fall semester (i.e. after finals conclude).
- Note: Generally, classes for Spring semester would begin on the third Tuesday of the calendar year (i.e. the day after Martin Luther King Jr. Day); however, in years when Winter Session ends two weeks prior to Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Spring semester classes will have to begin on the second Monday of the calendar year.
- Schedule Spring Break the week of the eleventh Monday of the calendar year.
- Hold last day of final exams no later than May 17.
- Schedule a 12-week Summer semester.
- Begin Summer semester following the end of Spring semester (i.e. after final exams conclude).
Calendar Principles Approval Review Cycle
- Principles shall be reviewed by the Registrars of the three universities every five years..
Reviewed and approved by Senate Leadership Council on Monday, October 4, 2021.