Teacher Licensure for the State of Iowa

Individuals must hold a current teaching license to be able to teach in the State of Iowa. The Iowa Board of Educational Examiners (BOEE) issues teacher, support service, and administrator licenses upon the recommendation of Iowa colleges and universities whose programs have been approved by the Iowa Department of Education. All University of Northern Iowa practitioner preparation programs have Iowa Department of Education approval.

The Teacher Licensure structure in Iowa provides for the issuance of difference licenses with endorsements in various teaching, service, or administrative areas. The endorsements specify the subject, service, or administrative area, and the grade level at which the teaching, service, or administrative services may be performed. Specific information regarding teaching licenses and endorsements for the State of Iowa is available on the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners website.